The August webinar for SEA Change will be pre-recorded, and released on this date! The event will be updated with a link to the video.
UPDATE: The webinar is now available at https://youtu.be/9QLPNABiFog
SEA Change staff answer questions from the pilot institutions and other stakeholders.
~What do we mean by disaggregated data?
- Also check out this excellent piece on data and disaggregating data here in the NSF INCLUDES Open Forum Reflecting On Our Roots Part 15 - Data
- Note that while using university leadership is a good way to demonstrate what happens when trying to balance disaggregating data with preserving privacy, that particular group may not be a privacy issue because their names, bios, and photos are likely on the institution's website.
~Why did we define intersectionality as we did?
- References will be added to the Handbook, and are included here for your benefit:
- Malcom, Hall, and Brown. (1976). The Double Bind: The Price of Being a Minority Woman in Science. AAAS Report no. 76-R-3
- Malcom, Malcom, Ong, Wright, Espinosa, Orfield, and Reyes. (2011). "Symposium - Unraveling the Double Bind: Women of Color in STEM." in Harvard Educational Review v. 81, no. 2. In particular, Malcom and Malcom's "The Double Bind: The Next Generation."
- Crenshaw, Kimberle. (1989). Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory, and Antiracist Politics. University of Chicago Legal Forum: Vol. 1989: Iss. 1, Article 8. Available at: http://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/uclf/vol1989/iss1/8
~Should self-assessment teams who would like to include medical and health science departments in their application include basic STEM departments within health professional schools, or also include clinical departments?
~Why aren't we requiring the inclusion of medical schools or health science centers from the very beginning in the pilot?
~Do pilots have to include the criteria about student populations for their initial application?
~How will pilot institutions be asked to submit their applications? What format should they be in, what size, how many graphs and figures, and what about hyperlinks?
For any new questions for a September seminar, please submit here! http://bit.ly/SEAChangeQuestions